Monday, November 9, 2009

My first experience with Ubuntu Karmic kola

I felt very excited after i read the review comments about Ubuntu 9.1, the Karmic Kola distribution of Ubuntu... However with over enthusiasm i could not wait for the official release... I downloaded the release candidate few days before the official release of Ubuntu 9.1...

As i have used only Windows so far, i was a bit worried about my transition to Ubuntu... However, so far it was smooth...

After downloading the release candidate of the Ubuntu 9.1, i had to burn the CD... I used ImgBurn to do that... What one needs is a blank 700 MB writable CD... The burning process did not take much time...

Then with caution i inserted the CD for the installation... The installation got started... And it hardly took 20 minutes to completely install it...

I restarted my computer... There were two options to boot up - one for my old Windows XP and the other was Ubuntu... I chose the second one... The log in screen came in no time... i entered my password... And voila... The system came up within a flash... I thought i need to do lot of configuration for my internet connection... To test it i just clicked the firefox menu on the top of the desktop... And no wonder, the Ubuntu Google came up in a flash...

I was delighted...

With a little help through googling, i found that for a developer, the build essential package is a must... After that i did a research and found the Synaptic Package Manager Under System.. i opened it... Searched for build essential... Marked it... And installed it...

Then i installed Git... And Eclipse... And yesterday i installed QTCreator IDE... And the development environment is ready...

I started gaining interest in Linux because i wanted to compile the Android source code... so far my experience with Ubuntu is very good... its update manager is working for me...The synaptic package manager is fantastic...

I installed HPLIP... However i could not set up my HP 656C printer... Its saying the driver is different... I hope even that will be sorted out within a couple of weeks...

I can say that for me its been a smooth transition to Ubuntu...And the best part is that neither i had to install SpyBot... nor do i have to scan with SpyWare doctor every time i start my PC...and of course i don't have to care about Malwarebytes to fight against virtumunde...

No comments:

Share